Gobi Manchurian is a spicy vegetable dish comprising of fried cauliflower florets. It is the all-time favourite dish of the foodies who are vegetarian.
The recipe for the dish, which Indian restaurants in Sugarland, Texas use to prepare it is given below.
- Water (4 cups)
- Salt ( ½ tsp)
- Cauliflower florets (20)
- Cold water (1 cup)
- Whole wheat flour
- Corn flour (3tbsp)
- Ginger-garlic paste ( 1 tsp)
- Red chilli powder (1/2 tsp)
- Black pepper powder (1/2 tsp)
- Soy sauce (1 tsp)
- Salt (for taste)
- Water (3/4 cup)
- Oil (6 tbsp)
For Cornflower Paste
- Corn flour ( 1 tbsp)
- Water (2 tbsp)
For Preparing Gobi Manchurian gravy
- Gobi (cauliflower)
- Finely chopped ginger: (1 tbsp)
- Finely chopped garlic (1 tbsp)
- Finely chopped green chillies (½ cup)
- Chopped spring onions (1/2 cup)
- Chopped celery
- Tomato ketchup (2 tbsps)
- Soy sauce (1 tbsp)
- Regular white vinegar (1 tbsp)
- Salt according to the taste
- Chopped spring onions (1/2 cup)
- Water (1.5 cups)
- Sugar (1/2 cups)
- Regular white vinegar (1 teaspoon)
- Salt (as per taste)
Instructions for Preparing Gobi Manchurian
- Break one medium-sized cauliflower into florets. Break about 3 cups of cauliflower florets and rinse them well.
- Take hot boiling water in a bowl and add gobi to it. Set it aside and allow the florets to blanch for about 10 minutes. Place whole wheat flour, ginger-garlic paste, chilli powder, black pepper powder, soy sauce and salt in a bowl.
- Whisk to above ingredients into a smooth batter by adding ¾ cup of water. Add the gobi florets to it and while you do so, ensure that the gobi florets do not have any water. Now, mix the batter properly.
- Pour 6 tablespoon of oil in a pan and heat it until it becomes medium hot. Use the batter to coat the gobi florets and place them onto the hot oil to allow them to fry.
- Fry the florets on medium flame until they become golden and lightly crisp. Turn each gobi floret over to ensure that the florets are fried evenly and they do not stick to one another. At the time of frying the florets, it is important to ensure that the oil is sufficiently hot. Repeat the cycle until the florets becomes golden and crisp.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the fried florets of cauliflower. Keep them on paper towels. Continue frying the florets in batches using this procedure.
- At the time of frying the florets, you can mix a tablespoon of corn flour with water and place it aside.
- Use the remaining oil in the pan to fry the mixture of chopped ginger, chopped onion and chopped garlic. Now, add chopped green chillies to the mixture. Next, add ½ cup of finely chopped spring onions and fry them until they become translucent. Now, pour a couple of tablespoons of tomato ketchup over the mixture.
- Now, add ½ tablespoon chilli sauce. You may either add red or green chilli sauce. Add 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and 1.5 cups of water and mix them well. Also, add ½ tsp black pepper powder. Stir the mixture well while bringing it to a boil. Sprinkle corn flour paste over it.
- Now, put some starch paste over it and mix it well without allowing the formation of a lump. Simmer for a few minutes to get rid of the raw taste of the mixture. Now, add the fried cauliflower florets. Mix the gravy properly.
- Put in a pinch of salt as per taste. Alternatively, you can give it a miss in case you feel that the gravy is adequately salted.
- Now, add ½ teaspoon sugar and 1 teaspoon regular vinegar. Mix them well.
- Switch off the flame and add 2 tablespoons of spring onion. Serve it hot to experience its rich taste.